“What’s perverse is that a lot of the people who are exposing themselves to the virus are doing it because they don’t have a choice.”As the toll mounted, grave-diggers at a cemetery outside Sao Paulo scrambled to keep up.”We’ve been working 12-hour days, burying them one after the other,” said one worker at Vila Formosa, wearing a white protective suit, mask and face shield.”It doesn’t stop.”‘We need more prayer’In Washington, President Trump, keen to find a way out of the crisis and facing an uphill re-election battle, ramped up pressure on state and local governments to ease lockdown measures.The pandemic has hammered the American economy and led to calls for an end to virus restrictions, despite the COVID-19 numbers still rising in the United States — the worst-hit country in the world with 1.6 million infections and 96,000 deaths.Trump demanded state governors classify churches, synagogues and mosques as “essential services” on the same level as food and drug stores, and immediately allow them to hold services despite curbs on public gatherings.”The governors need to do the right thing and allow these very important essential places of faith to open right now, for this weekend,” said the president, who counts religious conservatives as a core of his electoral base.”If they don’t do it, I will override the governors. In America, we need more prayer, not less,” added Trump, who has previously expressed support for street protests against lockdowns.It was not clear whether he had any authority to override the governors.There was pushback from the mayor of Los Angeles after the Trump administration warned that the continued lockdown in the city could be illegal.”We are not guided by politics in this — we are guided by science, we are guided by collaboration,” said Mayor Eric Garcetti.In the latest step to restart the economy, the Trump administration said Friday it would exempt from entry bans foreign professional athletes competing in the top leagues for several sports, including basketball, tennis and golf.”In today’s environment, Americans need their sports,” Chad Wolf, acting secretary of the Homeland Security department, said in a statement announcing the order.”It’s time to reopen the economy and it’s time we get our professional athletes back to work.”‘Not possible to save them all’Experts have warned that until a vaccine or treatment is developed for the virus, lockdown measures will persist in some form to prevent new waves of infections, a factor that has put immense pressure on economies.The airline, travel and hospitality sectors have been hit particularly hard by the pandemic, and car rental giant Hertz became the latest high-profile victim, announcing Friday that it was filing for bankruptcy in the United States and Canada.It added that the bankruptcy filing excludes its main international operations, including Europe, where many nations are opening up their economies cautiously after slowing the spread of the virus.France decided that it was safe to hold a delayed second round of municipal elections on June 28, and the Czech Republic said the epidemic remains contained there, two weeks after shopping malls, cinemas and restaurant terraces reopened.Serbia said, meanwhile, that the Exit Festival in Novi Sad — one of Europe’s biggest music events — could go ahead in August as planned, and in Italy Florence’s famous Duomo cathedral reopened to the public.But authorities are still keen to avoid opening up too fast, with a surge in Russia illustrating how quickly the deadly disease can spread.Russia has so far recorded 3,249 deaths — with a caseload of more 325,000 infections, second only to the United States.”The seriously ill are building up. Doctors try to save each one who lies there for two, three or more weeks,” said Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.”Unfortunately, it’s not possible to save them all.”Topics : The World Health Organization declared Latin America “a new epicenter” of the coronavirus pandemic as President Donald Trump ramped up pressure on state and local governments to speed up the reopening of the reeling American economy.Surges in infections across much of Central and South America have driven the global case count to nearly 5.2 million, with more than 337,000 deaths, even as hard-hit Europe and the United States cautiously move into a recovery phase.The death toll in Brazil has soared past 20,000, and with 310,000 reported cases, it has the third-biggest caseload in the world behind the United States and Russia. “In a sense, South America has become a new epicenter for the disease,” WHO emergencies director Mike Ryan said on Friday.”We’ve seen many South American countries with increasing numbers of cases… but certainly the most affected is Brazil at this point.”Unlike in Europe and the United States, where the elderly were hardest-hit, a significant number of deaths in Brazil have been younger people, who are often driven by poverty to work despite the threat of infection.”Since Brazil has a younger population, it’s normal for the number of cases to be higher among under-60s,” said Mauro Sanchez, an epidemiologist at the University of Brasilia.
Comment Ramsey is set to leave Juventus (Picture: Getty)Juventus are ready to offload Aaron Ramsey this summer, with Manchester United among the clubs ready to sign him.The Italian giants have been hit hard by the Covid-19 crisis and are looking to cut their wage bill this summer. Ramsey earns a ridiculous £400,000-a-week in Turin despite not becoming a fundamental part of Maurizio Sarri’s team during his first season at the club. The Wales international left Arsenal on a free transfer at the end of last season and has only amassed nine Serie A starts. ADVERTISEMENTGiven his huge wages, Juventus bosses are willing to show him the door this summer, with two English clubs already made aware of his availability, according to the Daily Mail.AdvertisementAdvertisementManchester United would certainly be interested in signing him, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer an admirer of the midfielder. Ramsey left Arsenal at the end of last season (Picture: Fantasista/Getty)However, his wages may prove a stumbling block to him moving on. He would either need to take a significant cut to move to Old Trafford or a loan move would be required, with Juventus still paying a significant portion of his salary. Former Wales manager Chris Coleman believes Ramsey would be a great fit in Manchester.‘He’s at his best when he’s under a bit of pressure, when he’s playing against the best teams and when he’s playing in the big games.’ Coleman told the Mirror. More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘If it’s not going to happen for him at Juventus he’s definitely the type of player who can handle playing for Manchester United. ‘When you play for a club like Manchester United the jersey is much heavier than when you are with a smaller club in the Premier League. ‘If you play for a big club you’ve got to handle that extra weight. He certainly has the appetite for that.’Should Manchester United sign Aaron Ramsey?Yes0%No0%Share your resultsShare your resultsTweet your resultsFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Advertisement Juventus put Aaron Ramsey up for sale amid Man Utd interest Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterFriday 12 Jun 2020 3:54 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link557Shares
The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority has released a new update about the port’s Centerm Expansion Project and South Shore Access Project.According to the update, this month, the port authority will begin demolition of portions of the east side of Burrard dock wharf to make room for the eastern expansion of the terminal and a new container operations facility.The port authority announced that the dredging and infilling work under the Centerm project is already underway.“This month you will see barges doing work on both the east and west side of Centerm. Dredging and infilling will begin over the next month. Work will take place up to 24 hours a day, seven days a week in order to complete dredging within the approved Fisheries and Oceans Canada’s marine work window,” the port authority said.The port authority also added that they will use construction methods that minimize turbidity, such as pouring in the infill slowly so as not to stir up more particles, and using in-water curtains to control the spread of turbid water.The Centerm Expansion Project and South Shore Access Project are being completed to help meet anticipated near-term demand for containers shipped through the Port of Vancouver.The scheme includes a new overpass for Centennial Road, making Waterfront Road a continuous road along the South Shore, and a reconfiguration and expansion of the Centerm terminal.The project is being delivered by Centennial Expansion Partners (CXP) and is anticipated to be complete by the end of 2021.
LocalNews Dominica prepares to hold major summit on CNCD’s by: – September 6, 2011 Share 13 Views no discussions Share Tweet Share Sharing is caring! Photo credit: medilinks.blogspot.comDominica will be the venue for a national summit on Chronic Non Communicable Diseases later this week.The National summit which is expected to to sensitize policy-makers, civil society, health and non-health sectors and other key stakeholders on the CNCD situation in Dominica will commence on Thursday.In its 10-year National Strategic Plan for Health for 2010-2019 the Ministry of Health listed Chronic Non-Communicable Diseases (CNCDs) as a priority area, and identified strategies for the prevention and management of the epidemic. Dominica is also in the process of finalizing a CNCD policy which sets out the course of action that will guide protocols for the prevention and management of the CNCDs and their complications.The results of a survey of Chronic Disease Risk Factors conducted in 2007 indicated that the increase in life expectancy and obesity, coupled with changing lifestyle practices are among several factors within the population that have contributed to a dramatic change in the morbidity and mortality profile of the CNCDs in Dominica over the last several years. The summit is also expected to mount a collective response to prevent diseases, reduce their risk factors and maintain wellness at community level. At the end of the two day Summit participants are expected to generate synergy to address the risk factors associated to CNCD,s.Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit, Health Minister Julius Timothy and National Epidemiologist Dr Paul Ricketts are among officials scheduled to address the event.Dominica Vibes News
LocalNews Decomposed body of La Plaine man identified by: – July 4, 2012 Tweet Share Share The decomposed body of a La Plaine man which was found on Tuesday has been identified, a police official has said.Police spokesman inspector John Carbon revealed that the body was found in a moderate state of decomposition at his residence on 3rd July, 2012 and was confirmed to be that of eighty-one (81) year old James Bruney of La Plaine.Police are presently conducting investigations and a coroner’s inquest will be convened, followed by a post mortem examination to determine the cause of death.Carbon also indicated that foul play is not suspected.Dominica Vibes News Share 8 Views no discussions Sharing is caring!
Brookville, In. — FCN BANK is honored to introduce you to the newest member of our Commercial Lending Team, Sandra Cates. Sandie has over 28 years of experience in the banking industry and a proven track record when it comes to working with local farms and businesses. After graduating from Indiana University Sandie and her husband Peter moved to Brookville to start both of their careers and family. As a resident of Brookville, Sandie is very active in the community serving as a Director on the Fayette Regional Health System, Inc. Board, a member of Tri Kappa, and a member of St Michael Church. Sandie is looking forward to working with local business owners and Ag customers to aid in their continued growth and success with the services being offered here at FCN Bank. Please stop by our Brookville Office or call 765-647-4116 and welcome Sandie to our Team!
Donna June Mazzanti, age 84 of Redondo Beach, California passed away on March 15, 2018 at home with her son and grandson at her side. The daughter of Harvey and Leora (nee Dieselberg) Cook was born on May 1, 1933 at Margaret Mary Hospital in Batesville. She was Baptized and confirmed at St. Marks Lutheran Church and graduated from Batesville High School in 1951. She worked as a bookkeeper at Hirt & Lindeman’s Appliance Store until she married and moved to California in 1966.Donna loved life and all those around her. She always greeted her family and friends with sincere joy, love and happiness. She took the bumps in life in stride and remained forever positive. Beyond her family, particularly important to her were her wonderful friends at church, the friends and workers at her beloved Club Cascadas (her “little bit of heaven”) that she loved seeing every year and of course her “Out to Lunch Bunch”. At the end Donna was repeatedly thankful and thanked God for such wonderful caregivers and especially her son Jay. She and Ed will always be remembered for making thousands of palm crosses (from their own palm tree) to be given out to the members of their church every Palm Sunday.Donna inherited her father’s love of travel and adventure. She enjoyed many western road trips to the National Parks and water skiing trips to the Colorado River and Lake Powell with her son Jay and his friends. Despite her failing health over the years, she always had a young spirit and was always ready for the next adventure to Cabo, Palm Desert or just a nice dinner at the Red Onion or Tony’s on the Pier in Redondo.Donna married the love of her life, Edward Mazzanti, in Las Vegas, NV in 1976 and were married 40 years. She worked for and retired as a civil servant for the United States Air Force. Donna was a long standing member of the Lutheran Church of the Good Shepard in Torrance, CA.She is survived by her children, Jay Yous of Redondo Beach, CA, Debbie Bringman (Fred) of Darby, MT and Linda Lin of Redondo Beach, CA; four grandchildren, Jason Yous (Sydney), Jordan Yous, Ashlee Lin (Thomas), Korey Lin; and her brother-in-law John H. Huneke.In addition to her parents and her husband, she was preceded in death by her sister Doris Huneke and brother Robert Cook who died as a small child.Visitation is 12pm – 2pm on Saturday, March 24, 2018 immediately followed by funeral services at 2pm, all at Meyers Funeral Home in Batesville. Pastor Jill Kepler-Campbell officiating with burial at St. Paul Cemetery in Milan, Indiana.
Press Association Jose Mourinho is the Happy One no more after Chelsea’s worst start to a Premier League season in 17 years. The World Cup winner joined Baba Rahman, a left-back signed from Augsburg, in moving to Chelsea in the wake of the loss at City. “For me, it was one minute,” said Mourinho, before recalling the conversation. “‘Is it true that you want to leave Barcelona?’ ‘Yes, it’s true. I love it here. It’s my home, but it’s time for me to move.’ ‘Did you sign already for another club?’ ‘Almost, but not yet.’ ‘Do you want to come here?’ ‘Yes, I want.’ “I told people in the club ‘it’s over to you’. (But) I thought he would never leave Barcelona.” The former Real Madrid boss has acrimonious history with Barcelona. “Maybe I insulted him or he insulted me. But, for football people, that’s not a problem,” Mourinho said. “It’s a problem for non-football people. In football, people forget.” Further signings could follow, if the chance arises before the September 1 deadline. “People used to call it the transfer window. I sometimes call it the opportunity window,” Mourinho added. “While the window is open there is always an opportunity.” Juventus’ former Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba has been linked with a £60m move to Stamford Bridge. Mourinho refused to comment. He also refused to be drawn on whether Chelsea would return to bid for defender John Stones despite Everton’s rebuttal of a reported three bids, the latest of which was said to be £30m. Captain John Terry is likely to start in defence at West Brom despite being substituted at half-time at City, while goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois will return from suspension in place of Asmir Begovic. Oscar and Victor Moses are out. Mourinho withdrew Terry due to a lack of pace and admitted experimenting with changing formation. He added: “When you have strikers like we have, why not play with two strikers? “When you have fast people like (Kurt) Zouma, (Cesar) Azpilicueta, why not play with three defenders? “And now we are having time to do that because we have a week between games, so we are thinking about that.” “I’m not happy with anyone. I’m not happy with (Branislav) Ivanovic’s form, (Gary) Cahill, John (Terry), Azpi (Cesar Azpilicueta), Eden (Hazard), (Cesc) Fabregas, (Nemanja) Matic. “But, for me, the first thing is I’m not happy with my form, because I used to get better results than I’m getting (now). “This is the start of everything.” Mourinho, who described himself as the Happy One on his return to Chelsea two summers ago, is eager for self-improvement as well as collective. “I go to the gym every day now to get fitter,” said Mourinho, who says he went once every six months previously. “Maybe I need more action on the touchline, so I need to be fitter.” The Blues boss this week made efforts to improve Chelsea, convincing Pedro to sign from Barcelona in a one minute conversation. Pedro could make his debut at the Hawthorns. Mourinho became aware of the availability of the Spain forward on Monday and Chelsea signed him for £21million on Thursday, swooping swiftly for a player Manchester United had pursued for around a month. The champions go to West Brom on Sunday bidding for a first win of the season after beginning with a 2-2 draw at home to Swansea and 3-0 loss at title rivals Manchester City. “We have one point from two matches. I’m not happy at all,” said Mourinho, before listing those under-performing.